The Shock-King membrane is ideal for the reinforcement of ceramic tiles and to avoid fragmentation in case of breakage
In order to answer the requirements and the possible problems which manufactures and tilers may face when using raised floors with ceramic tile, DPS Floor has developed a series of exclusive and technologically advanced solutions to prevent and solve difficulties which may arise from stockpiling and laying ceramic tiles on raised floors.
This is why the Shock-King self-adhesive protective membrane was designed and developed.
It is a patented multilayer membrane designed for the reinforcement of ceramic tiles installed in raised outdoor floors. Its performance has been verified and certified by carrying out the three hard body impact tests performed on the tiles on which the Shock-King membrane is applied, according to the UNI EN 12825: 2003 standard (documentation available on request). Following impact, the tiles treated with Shock-King, broke without causing any fragmentation of the material.
The Shock-King multi-material membrane is made of 3 layers:
1. a first layer with a high degree of adhesiveness to ceramics, protected by removable film
2. a high performance bituminous compound for a strong grip,
3. a layer of HDPE with “shock retarding” action for increased resistance in case of tile breakage.
How to apply the Shock-King membrane
SHOCK-KING is the only protective reinforcement system for ceramics which is easy to transport and handle with minimum hassle. Unlike other systems commonly used for this purpose, Shock-King is much more versatile, economical and easy to handle. It can be easily applied with a silicone roller and be ready for use also at the building site.
1. It is recommended that the Shock-King membrane be applied on the tiles in the warehouse the evening before laying. Before the membrane is applied on site ensure there is no humidity in the air and the tiles are dry. Clean the bottom surface of the tiles with a dry cloth
2. If the membrane is applied on site, ensure that the tiles are dry; otherwise treat them in advance with a specific Primer before applying the product. The installation on site is not recommended in the presence of saltiness in the air
3. Remove the protective film making sure that the product is perfectly sticking to the tile.
4. Proceed uniformly with a silicone roller until the whole surface of the tile is completely covered, taking care to avoid the formation of folds or air bubbles.
5A. CASE 1 - Application in the warehouse: place the already protected tiles in the classic staggered diagonal position and allow to rest overnight.
5B. CASE 2 - Application on site: place the tiles in staggered diagonal piles until the operation is completed and start laying them beginning with those which were treated first in order to allow the adhesive to set (about 30 minutes).
Tips: Taking the 60x60 cm tiles - and their multiples - as reference, it is advisable to use a central support in order to reduce the gap between the supports and to increase the resistance in case of accidental breakage.
Watch the video on how to lay the tiles with SHOCK-KING